Search This Blog

Sunday, January 6, 2013

New (old) toy 2: Samsung Galaxy i9100 (aka Galaxy SII)

Well, my old phone was in really back shape after more than three years so I decided to buy a new one.

I really do not like that big smartphones that are becoming common these days :-( I already own a tablet, so why buy an almost-tablet-sized smartphone? I searched for some months for smartphones with good features, like Galaxy SIII, HTC One S/X, Motorola RarZ (Maxx HD), etc. In all benchmarks I have read Galaxxy SIII would be the best choice, but I really do not like its size and the cracked screen problems made uneasy to buy one of them. I really try hard to preserve my phones (I still own all phone I have used so far, including an ancient Nokia 3320 from more than 10 years ago).

After consider all posibilities, size of the phone, battery size and price I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy SII. It's is old phone, but still capable of running new Android versions and is has proven to be a very good phone. The best part is that it also cheap compared to SIII and one of the web sites I usually buy things from made a clearance sale and I could buy for a reasonable price and buying conditions :-D. The only thing I would really miss from Galaxy SIII is the bigger battery, but I can live with that and I already installed and configured some software that helps me increase the battery time.

Update: I have noticed that ICS is really really bad at connecting to my operator's 3G network. That is a known bug and there is no simple solution for it unfortunately :-( From time to time my 3G connection just disconnects and never comes back until I reboot the phone. Even when connected the performance is really poor compared to my old Samsung i8910.

No comments: